- 1 Hokutens FFXI Installation Guide
- 2 Installing and updating FFXI
- 3 Connecting to Hokutens
- 4 DO NOT CHANGE CITY NATION AFTER YOU HAVE PICKED ONE AT THE BEGINNING! IT WILL BREAK MANY THINGS!!! DONT BE THAT GUY/GIRL
- 5 DO NOT INSTALL LIGHT LUGGAGE OR PLASTIC SURGEON! THEY WILL ALSO BREAK MANY THINGS!!! DO NOT BE THAT GUY/GIRL
Hokutens FFXI Installation Guide
If you follow this installation guide and do not miss any steps you should not have any issues playing.
Installing and updating FFXI
Download and install the installation files located at PlayOnline.com
Make sure you download all 4 files. Then run the first one which is the setup. When the setup is running to install FFXI, Make sure you check that you want to install PoL, FFXI, Rize of zilart, Chains, Treasures, and Wings of the goddess Expansion packs. DO NOT INSTALL ANY EXPANSIONS PAST "WINGS OF THE GODDESS"
Once the Install is finished
Run PlayOnline and let it update.
- After the update for POL is done and restarted it will ask you if you're a New User or Existing User.
- Choose Existing User using 1234567 as username/pass/account id etc.
- Exit PlayOnline
- Once you download the patch files, Create a new folder on your Desktop and extract the patch files to the new folder.
Once the files are extracted to the new folder you created on your desktop, copy them all and go to: (the next step below)
- C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\
When you navigated to the FFXI folder, Click on a blank spaaace and paste the patch files. You should get a message to "Replace all files or overwrite them. Do This. Make sure you are replacing the files not the patch folder.
Repair FFXI Files
- Run PlayOnline. On the left side of the screen click Check Files
- If you get a separate popup window that says it's launching the FFXI installer or asks for install discs you can just close it.
- VERY IMPORTANT**
On the "Check Files" screen where it says "PlayOnlineViewer" click the two arrows (drop down box) and change it to "Final Fantasy XI". The "version" should be "UNKNOWN" *Note* if your not getting the "Unknown" version then you did something above wrong!
- Click on the Check Files button.
- PlayOnline will then check all the FINAL FANTASY XI files (usually takes about 15-20 minutes) and prompt you on what to do because it found errors.
- You should then choose to fix the errors.
- PlayOnline will then automatically start checking and repairing the files. This takes around 5-7hrs.
Post update (repair)
- Once you're done checking and repairing the files, (It may still say that the files did not fix)
navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer
- Right-click the "data folder" and click copy
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI, right click an empty spaaace in the folder and click paste. You should now have the "data" folder inside your /FINAL FANTASY XI/ folder.
Connecting to Hokutens
Download the xiloader.exe file located here
- Place the xiloader.exe in your POL folder (SquareEnix/PlayOnlineViewer)
If you have issues: Set pol.exe and xiloader.exe to run as administrator by right-clicking on them and going Properties, opening the Compatibility tab and clicking the Run as Administrator checkbox at the bottom of the window.
Download and install MSVC 2015 Runtimes
Download and install MSVC 2013 Runtimes
It does not matter WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM you have please only check and install the >>> x86 <<< version (Make sure you are only clicking the x86,
no other boxes should be clicked)
- Optional: Delete vulgar2.dic from PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\data\dic to disable swear filters, as the setting does not get saved.
Download and install Windower DO NOT INSTALL THE LIGHT LUGGAGE OR PLASTIC SURGEON PLUGINS
- Create a profile, highlight your new profile, and click on the pencil icon to adjust your desired settings.
- You can change the size of the UI by opening the windower and changing the UI Scale. For me on a 55 tv I use 1.3% moving the bar half way will probably make the UI in game too large, play around with it till your happy.
- Click the pin icon to create a desktop shortcut
- Exit Windower
- If you have a white screen when opening Windower check compatability mode, if it is off try turning it on and selecting the various versions. If it is on try turning it off. If the issue remains try this [White screen fix]
- Navigate to the new pinned icon, right click it and go to properties. Once open where the target line is, add this code instead of what is in there., then click apply --> code:
" C:\Program Files (x86)\Windower4\Windower.exe" -p="FFXI" --executable=xiloader.exe --args="--server 18.104.22.168 "
The name you chose for you profile should be in the code you just pasted to the target line. Example(x86)\Windower4\Windower.exe" -p="Profile Name goes here" --executable=xiloader.exe --args=
- Launch Windower with your chosen profile
- The xiloader window will open, where you can log in and register a new account. To create a new account, enter 2 and hit enter, then enter your username and password and confirm your password.
- To log in, enter 1 and enter your username and password.
- Once you log in, Final Fantasy will start and you can create your character, choose your starting town, and get playing!
DO NOT CHANGE CITY NATION AFTER YOU HAVE PICKED ONE AT THE BEGINNING! IT WILL BREAK MANY THINGS!!! DONT BE THAT GUY/GIRL
DO NOT INSTALL LIGHT LUGGAGE OR PLASTIC SURGEON! THEY WILL ALSO BREAK MANY THINGS!!! DO NOT BE THAT GUY/GIRL
1 optional way to setup the game on your Mac Computer. Go to applications folder, then the utilities folder.
Select the bootcamp assistant
Select the first option (create a USB stick with the drivers Windows is going to require to use the Apple Hardware)
After that is created. Then you will deselect that option and select the 2nd option (using either a USB stick with the .iso file or a Windows installation CD partition the drive (for Windows 8.1 it takes roughly 27gb of spaaace)
The drive will then partition and restart bringin up the Windows installation stuff....do a normal Windows install and go from there. Using the Option button to select which OS you want to boot with.
Then just follow are setup guide above. If you get lost you can always post to the Facebook page and there are a few people that could guide you through the steps.
Other stuff to do when starting out
- Be sure to check out the Rules, and other helpful pages, which can be found on this wiki's home page.
- Make sure you add yourself to the closed facebook group for schedules of events and other happenings. 
- Request a linkpearl (global chat item) from a GM, if one isn't already in your inventory. Type "/sea all" into chat and send a message to any member if an admin isn't online. If all else fails, write a post to the Facebook Group to request a linkpearl.
- Use [this] guide to configure graphics.
- Remember useful game information links such as FFXIclopedia and FFXI-Atlas.
- Don't forget to check out the @ Commands and other features on the Hokutens/Wiki
- Please do no not forget to set a home point immediately upon logging in, any will do. If you forget and die without setting one causes your character to break and requires a GM to reset you.